No matter how much I tried to encourage myself to push through today, I just couldn’t find the motivation. I was up at 6am and did some early morning cardio after breakfast. I felt pretty good but then, as the day progressed, my energy levels dropped and my motivation went right down with it.
I had to literally drag my butt to the gym, and talked myself through each superset – it was leg day. It really is such a mind game. I can’t even count the number of times I considered reducing my sets, reps, or just dropping an exercise completely.
I just wasn’t feeling it.
But then, something magical happened during my post-workout cardio… A great tune came on my iPod.
WHOOMPH!!!!! It was like I took some sort of drug. My energy lifted, and I was really givin’ it! I felt amazing. There was a tingle down my spine, and I nearly started gurning! It was like I was in the middle of a nightclub, only I was on the ARC Trainer at my gym, and had 30 minutes to get through…
Here’s what I was listening to (my old clubbing mates will see the “old Lisa” shine through with this selection):
- John Acquaviva & Dan Diamond and Alex D Elia and Nihil Young – Good Music (Stefano Noferini Remix) – this was the first tune that got my feet moving, and sent that tingle down my spine. I played it again to push through the last 5 minutes of the session.
- The Clan – Lunapark (Club Mix) – I listened to this little gem this morning, and post-workout.
- Lamessa feat. Lisa Millett – Time (the Cube Guys mix) – phat (with a “ph”) beats. What more do you want for a cardio tune?
- Gesaffelstein – Control Movement (Original Mix) – dark and dirty club beat that moves my feet!
- Tiefschwartz – Corporate Butcher (Solomon Remix) – a little repetative but a great song to help focus and push those self-deflating thoughts out of your brain.
I saw these guys on David Letterman. I downloaded their album, watched a few videos, and was hooked. Here are my fave workout tunes from Die Antwoord:
- I Fink U Freeky (album: Ten$ion) – they did this one on Letterman. I was pretty stunned. So was Dave lol
- Baby’s on Fire (album: Ten$ion)
- Beat Boy (album: $O$)
- Clockwork (Original Mix) – if this doesn’t keep you moving on the treadmill, I don’t know what will! Classic tune.
- Kamisshake Dark Beat (Deadmau5 Vocal Remix) – does what it says on the tin!
- Energy 52 Cafe Del Mar (Deadmau5 Remix) – I love this song, any remix, for personal reasons. This is a particularly good remix.
So, those are some of my favourite, go-to, cardio tunes. I have a totally different playlist, that’s a little heavier and is a nod to my metal days (oh yeah!), for those heavy weighlifting workouts. Maybe I’ll share my playlist for that in another post…
In the meantime, what gets your feet moving? Please share with the rest of us. After all, music makes the world go round 🙂