This recipe comes courtesy of my good friend, Jen Caron.
She’s a pretty talented lady, check out her website here.
Here’s her version:
Nut Crunch Protein Bars
What you need:
2 cups large oat flakes
5 scoops of your favourite flavoured whey protein powder
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce + 2 tbsp
1/4 cup chopped almonds or walnuts
1/4 cup raisins or cranberries, or dried blueberries
1 tsp cinnamon
4 packets of stevia or splenda
- In a separate bowl, combine oats, protein powder, cinnamon, splenda/stevia. Stir well until blended.
- Add peanut butter, apple sauce, raisins and nuts and mix well. The consistency will be thick and similar to cookie dough. If too dry, add a little more apple sauce, but only a spoon at a time. A little goes a long way. If the bars are too soft, they will not form.
- Line cling film in a 8×8 baking dish and press the protein bar mixture down into the dish until smooth.
- Place dish in freezer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from dish and cut into 10 bars. Individually wrap bars and keep in fridge.
- Other ingredients that can be added is: cocoa, dark chocolate pieces, unsweetened coconut flakes.
What I did differently:
- I was low on protein powder, so I used a combination of vanilla and chocolate protein powder
- I used exactly 1/2 cups+2 tbsp of apple sauce
- Doubled up on cinnamon – the boy’s favourite spice!
- Used trail mix and added walnut pieces, but stuck to 1/2 cup total
- I was also low on natural peanut butter, so I used almost 1/2 cup of pb and made up the full 1/2 cup with almond butter
It was pretty messy to mix with anything other than my hands. So, that is what I did.
When it was ready for the tray, I only had a 9×11 brownie tray. So, I laid out the cling film, dropped the ball of protein mixture in the middle, folded over the excess wrap and pressed into a square. This kept the mixture from sticking to EVERYTHING, and helped form it into a perfect square.
I also forgot that I wanted to add coconut, so I just sprinkled it on top before placing the pan in the freezer to set.
This is what Jen’s looked like: