I LOVE Autumn. It’s the time of year pumpkins make their welcome return to menus, and I love, love, LOVE pumpkin! It’s so emblematic of fall, Thanksgiving… and best of all, Hallowe’en!
Pumpkin, real pumpkin, is so good for you, too. It’s full of vitamins, minerals, fibre, and antioxidants – did you know 1/2 a cup of pumpkin has 3.5 grams of fibre? Amazing!
Starting with Pumpkin Protein Muffins, I will attempt to make a pumpkin-based food dish – either snack or meal – over the next few weeks, and post them here. Remember, my recipes are EASY, with accessible ingredients. These muffins took me about 30 minutes to make – start to finish!
Let’s get started…
- 1 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 4 packets of splenda or stevia
- 3 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2 tsp pumpkin spice – if you don’t have this use: 1 tsp ground ginger, 1 tsp nutmeg, 1 tsp cloves, 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup egg whites
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree – not pumpkin pie filling, which is full of sugar!
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional: I added 1/4 cup crumbled walnuts – adds good fats to the recipe!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare cupcake tin, using either non-stick cooking spray or muffin cups
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl
- Pour into muffin cups
- Place on middle rack in the oven and cook for 20 minutes. Check at 15 minutes. The muffins are pretty moist and each oven is different.